Industrial Rope Access (Elementary)
*The last date for entry to this qualification was 31/12/2017. If you were not already enrolled in this qualification by this date, you need to enrol with Skills https://skills.org.nz/careers-and-courses/trades/industrial-rope-access/
The National Certificate in Industrial Rope Access (Elementary Rope Skills) Level 3 is a great introduction to rope-access. You will gain the skills to move on ropes in a vertical environment using the most common rope access systems and be able to work as part of a team.
You will be shown how to efficiently negotiate through most systems, deal with emergency situations (should they arise) and initiate a rescue on a simple rope access system.
- Credit Value:73
- Awards:National Certificate in Industrial Rope Access (Elementary)
- Location:Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch
- Method of Study:Block course and workplace training, 12 months
- Dates:Multiple intakes per year
What is Rope Access?
Rope access is a safe, efficient and cost effective way of accessing a work-site or attempting a rescue from a precarious situation. In its simplest form, it usually involves abseiling utilising techniques such as climbing and cableways (like a flying fox).
Rope access is used in various situations where access is limited; the most public of these being window washing but it also includes maintenance on high-rise buildings, cell-phone towers, confined spaces, and even on natural sites such as rock outcrops.
Qualifications such as welding, engineering, inspection, carpentry or glazing (just to name a few!) would be beneficial but not essential for a career on ropes.
This Programme is offered in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch. The Level 3 Industrial Rope Programme includes training in:
- Fall arrest systems and equipment (NZQA Unit 15757)
- Edge protection and fall prevention
- Workplace Health and Safety
- Hazard identification and management
- Workplace First Aid (NZQA Unit 6400, 6401, 6402)
- Basic mathematics, communication and 2-way radio skills
- Inspection, care and maintenance of industrial rope equipment
- Planning and preparation for rope access work
- Knots and rigging suitable for rope access use
- Abseil and ascension techniques
- Self-rescue and co-worker recovery
Upon successful completion of the programme, you will gain the National Certificate in Industrial Rope Access (Elementary) (Level 3) and may wish to further your training with us by enrolling in the National Certificate in Industrial Rope Access (Working on Ropes) (Level 4).You are also eligible to apply for a Certificate of Competency through IRAANZ.
Note: Several unit standards can be cross credited towards the National Certificate in Rigging or Scaffolding.
Certificate of Competency Card (CoC)
Upon successful completion of the programme, graduates will be awarded with an NZQA/Tai Poutini Polytechnic National Certificate in Industrial Rope Access and are eligible to apply for the Certificate of Competency. This is a Department of Labour Best Practice requirement for this industry.
The programme has the support of IRAANZ (Industrial Rope Access Association New Zealand) and SRIIT (Scaffolding, Rigging and Industrial Rope Industry Training) and is recognised by employers as a preferred means of entering this industry.
This programme is taught to the ‘Industry Best Practice Guidelines’ which are endorsed by the Department of Labour. We also adhere to the manufacturers specifications when using their equipment.
Graduates will have the skills and knowledge to pursue a career in the height access industry in New Zealand or overseas.
Employments options are varied including:
- Urban (building maintenance etc...)
- Oil Rigs
- Theatre and Movie rigging
...and many more!
- Applicants for whom English is a second language must meet IELTS (or equivalent) Level 5.5 or above.
- Entry is open. However, physical strength, dexterity, balance, coordination, and motor skills all need to be unimpaired to work within this industry, for safety reasons, (as per NQF 1016).
Download and fill out the Certificate in Industrial Rope Access (Elementary) Level 3 Application Form
For more information, please see the Enrolments page.
This is a Safety Sensitive Programme