Get ready for a career in one of New Zealand’s biggest export industries with tourism training at Tai Poutini Polytechnic.
If you enjoy working with people and have a flair for service, Tai Poutini Polytechnic can help you secure a career in the tourism sector. The options are endless if you’re looking for jobs in tourism, and this travel programme will help you get a foot in the door.
With a specific West Coast flavour, and designed to fill a need in the local market for staff with strong customer service skills, the programme will focus on giving you the knowledge and attributes needed to work in the vibrant and diverse tourism industry.
- Credit Value:60
- Awards:NZ Certificate in Tourism (Level 3) with strand in Tourism and Travel
- Location:Greymouth and Westport
- Method of Study:Full time
- Holiday Duration:2 weeks
- Teaching Duration:18 weeks
- Total Duration:20 weeks
- Start Date:July 2022
- End Date:December 2022
Free fees may apply, refer
- Domestic Breakdown
- Tuition Fee:$1,793
- Course Cost:$295
Graduates will be able to:
- Implement basic customer service skills, applying appropriate communication, literacy and numeracy skills to enhance the visitor experience.
- Apply workplace practices required of an aviation, tourism or travel workplace including: teamwork, timeliness and compliance with relevant legislation.
- Apply knowledge of major New Zealand tourism destinations in terms of characteristics relevant to visitors to enhance the visitor experience.
- Recognise the importance of the tourism and travel industry to the New Zealand economy, including the structure and operations of the New Zealand inbound and outbound tourism industries to demonstrate an understanding of the context they work within.
Further Study Paths
You’ll learn essential communication, customer service skills and leadership skills which will improve your confidence and open doors to jobs, careers and any further study - should you wish to continue.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Minimum of three years at secondary school or completion of NCEA Level 1 or equivalent qualification.
- Applicants for whom English is a second language must meet IELTS (or equivalent) Level 5.5 or above.
- Applications will be accepted from young people who meet Youth Guarantee eligibility criteria.
- Special Entry may be granted where evidence exists that the applicant can successfully complete the programme.