If you enjoy working with people and have a flair for service, Tai Poutini Polytechnic can help you secure a career in one of New Zealand’s biggest export industries.
Tai Poutini Polytechnic is now offering the New Zealand Certificate in Tourism – Tourism and Travel. Focusing on New Zealand’s valuable tourism sector, the NZ Certificate in Tourism – Tourism and Travel will prepare you for a career supporting one of the country’s biggest industries.
With a specific West Coast flavour, and designed to fill a need in the local market for staff with strong customer service skills, the programme will focus on giving you the knowledge and attributes needed to work in the vibrant and diverse tourism industry.
- Credit Value:60
- Awards:NZ Certificate in Tourism, with strand in Tourism and Travel
- Method of Study:Full time
- Holiday Duration:2 weeks
- Teaching Duration:18 weeks
- Total Duration:20 weeks
- Start Date:12 February 2018 (semester 1) and 16 July 2018 (semester 2)
- End Date:29 June 2018 (semester 1) and 30 November 2018 (semester 2)
- Domestic Breakdown
- Tuition Fee:$1,670
- Course Cost:$275
- Student Service Fee:$50
- NZQA Fee:$100
- International Fee (2018):
Full fee breakdown click here
Graduates will be able to:
- Implement basic customer service skills, applying appropriate communication, literacy and numeracy skills to enhance the visitor experience.
- Apply workplace practices required of an aviation, tourism or travel workplace including: teamwork, timeliness and compliance with relevant legislation.
- Apply knowledge of major New Zealand tourism destinations in terms of characteristics relevant to visitors to enhance the visitor experience.
- Recognise the importance of the tourism and travel industry to the New Zealand economy, including the structure and operations of the New Zealand inbound and outbound tourism industries to demonstrate an understanding of the context they work within.
Further Study Paths
- Hospitality Supervision and Operations Management
- Certificate in Outdoor Education
- Diploma in Outdoor Instruction and Guiding
- NZ Diploma in Business
The customer service skills you’ll learn will open doors for you to a huge variety of jobs and careers. You’ll learn essential communication and leadership skills which will improve your confidence and open doors to further study should you wish to continue.
- Minimum of three years at secondary school or completion of NCEA Level 1 or National Certificate in Tourism and Travel (Level 2) or National Certificate in Hospitality (Entry Skills) (Level 2) or equivalent.
- Applicants for whom English is a second language must meet IELTS (or equivalent) Level 5.5 or above.
- Special Entry may be granted where evidence exists that the applicant can successfully complete the programme.