Learn how to help people reach their health and fitness goals and become a personal trainer with the New Zealand Certificate in Exercise (Level 4).
This programme, which is a collaboration between the Open Polytechnic of New Zealand, Tai Poutini Polytechnic and Skills Active Aotearoa, provides you with the skills and knowledge to deliver exercise instruction and personal training to individuals, groups and communities. When you achieve this qualification, you will be eligible to register with the New Zealand Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs).
- Credit Value:60
- Awards:New Zealand Certificate in Exercise (Level 4)
- Location:Online distance Learning
- Method of Study:Full-time or Part-time, Online distance learning
- Total Duration:17 weeks Full-time. 20 weeks Part-time for each course.
- Start Date:February 2020
When you complete this qualification you will be able to:
- Apply knowledge of anatomy and physiology to design safe and effective personal training exercise programmes for healthy and at-risk individuals
- Deliver safe and effective exercise programmes, in-line with your own scope of practice and the industry code of ethics
- Conduct pre-screening and testing with clients
- Adapt exercise programmes to ensure continued progress for clients
- Apply motivational and communication techniques to enhance individual participant commitment to a personalised exercise programme
- Apply a health and wellness framework and evidence-based nutrition principles to support a personalised exercise programme and recommend referral pathways to allied health professionals
- Use marketing and business tools and techniques to support business practices as an exercise professional.
Programme Structure and Workload
The programme is structured across three courses, involving both theory and practical assessment.
- Course 1 – Involves all theory and is delivered online with supported learning locally.
- Course 2 - Is a combination of theory and practical assessments to be conducted within a gym environment. It is at this stage where students will be pre-screening and assessing clients in order to write their client an exercise programme and demonstrate exercises.
- Course 3 - Is also a combination of theory and practical assessments which involves monitoring/adapting and reassessing clients.
As part of this qualification, you will be required to undertake two practical assessments in a gym/exercise facility. The practical assessments are completed in Course 2 (Delivering Exercise Programmes) and Course 3 (Becoming an Exercise Professional). Course 2 requires 120 hours of practical work over a minimum of 6 weeks and course 3 has a practicum component of 100 hours over approximately 6 weeks.
Tai Poutini Polytechnic will work with you to establish suitable arrangements for you to engage in your practicum placement. If you already have access to a suitable gym facility then you may wish to establish arrangements with this gym yourself. If you don’t have access to gym facilities then Tai Poutini Polytechnic will work with our industry stakeholders and partners to establish suitable arrangements for you.
Further Study Paths
Students can progress to the New Zealand Certificate in Exercise (level 5) – not offered at TPP or OPNZ
The New Zealand Certificate in Exercise (Level 4) will prepare you to work in roles such as:
- community exercise instructor
- gym instructor
- personal trainer (employed or self-employed)
- exercise consultant
Applicants must have:
- NCEA Level 2 or equivalent
- Students must be at least 16 years of age or older to study. The Chief Executive may make an exception for students enrolling under an approved agreement.
- Applicants who have attained the age of 20 years and do not hold the minimum entry requirements will be eligible to be enrolled where their previous educational, work or life experience indicates they have a reasonable likelihood of success.
- This programme is delivered online so you will need to have regular access to a computer, a reliable internet connection and a data plan to be able to support your online learning. You will need to stream videos, download content and submit assessments online.
- Applicants for whom English is a second language must meet IELTS (or equivalent) Level 5 or above.
Entry to the programme is dependent on suitable mentor and assessor availability for practical component
The New Zealand Certificate in Exercise (Level 4) is delivered through a collaboration between the Open Polytechnic of New Zealand, Tai Poutini Polytechnic and Skills Active Aotearoa. Students will enrol with the Open Polytechnic and the programme is delivered through online learning; TPP provides local learning support for students on the West Coast. To enrol in the New Zealand Certificate in Exercise (Level 4) click here.
*Subject to approval for 2020. Terms and conditions apply.