Learn the specific skills of working with overhead gantry cranes. Our quality-focused programme covers the technical complexities specific to radio remote or pendant controlled cranes, while also addressing the calculate, sling, lift and communicate aspects of general crane training.
You’ll be able to safely, competently operate an overhead gantry crane, while understanding and controlling all the potential hazards associated with operations.
Our focus is on the individual student and we’ll work with you until you’re ready to take your new skills onto the job site.
You’ll be able to:
- Calculate weights of regular loads
- Prepare and plan for lifts
- Safely sling and lift different types of regular loads
- Direct and control crane operations throughout the lift
- Use the "constant talk method" of radio communication with crane operators
- Use international recognised hand signals
Like the rest of New Zealand’s construction industry, the crane business is booming. Skilled people are in high demand by businesses who know the value of having capable staff in command of multimillion-dollar machinery and loads. Take your career to the next level with Tai Poutini Polytechnic’s industry-recognised, quality-focused cranes training.
- Credit Value:24
- Awards:Tai Poutini Polytechnic Short Award
- Location:Nelson, Marlborough, West Coast
- Method of Study:Part time
- Total Duration:5 week self-paced component followed by a 2 day block course
- Start Date:Multiple intakes per year
Enquire for more information
- US 3800 Operate a pendant controlled overhead crane and lift and place regular loads.
- US 30072 Demonstrate and apply knowledge of slinging regular loads safely.
- Be 16 years of age or over.
- Applicants for whom English is a second language must meet IELTS (or equivalent) 5.5.
Note: Some courses within this programme require specific levels of physical ability.
This is a Safety Sensitive Programme