Take your Hard Stone and Jade Carving skills to the next level and boost your employment prospects with Tai Poutini Polytechnic’s higher level carving programme.
The NZ Certificate in Arts and Design (Level 4) builds on the skills students learn in the Level 3 programme, preparing them to turn their passion for art and sculpture into a real career.
In this programme, students take more responsibility for the conceptual and creative processes and applying these to their stone carving skills which will allow to students to undertake more complex technical designs
- may already have some artistic experience, and/or
- may wish to learn a new and unique skill for personal development, and/or
- may wish to gain employment in the hard stone and / or jade carving industry.
- Credit Value:60
- Awards:NZ Certificate in Arts and Design (Level 4)
- Method of Study:Full time or part time
- Holiday Duration:2 weeks
- Teaching Duration:18 weeks
- Total Duration:20 weeks
- Start Date:25 July 2022
- End Date:9 December 2022
- Domestic Breakdown
- Tuition Fee:$3,744
Graduates will be prepared for entry level positions in industry, or be able to go onto higher level study and further artistic exploration. It is expected that graduates will be able to produce simple regular pieces suitable for commercial production, however further on-job training may be required to meet industry production requirements.
Graduates of this qualification will be able to:
- Apply fundamental, conceptual and research skills in the production of hard stone and jade carving
- Select and apply creative processes using a broad range of diverse techniques to solve problems in response to a given brief
- Manage projects under broad guidance taking into account work practices and the fundamentals of ethics
- Select and prepare work for a simple exhibition
Programme Structure and Workload
The programme balances classroom-based theory with a range of practical learning contexts to assist students to achieve the New Zealand Certificates in Arts and Design (Level 4).
Graduates of the Level 4 programme will build on the knowledge and skills achieved in the New Zealand Certificate in Arts and Design.
Further Study Paths
Arts and Design (Level 5)
Graduates of the Level 4 New Zealand Certificates in Arts and Design will be prepared for entry level positions in industry, or be able to go onto higher level study and further artistic exploration. It is expected that graduates will be able to produce simple regular pieces suitable for commercial production, however further on-job training may be required to meet industry production requirements
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
NCEA Level 3 credits in English and Maths or
- Having completed the TPP Level 3 programme or equivalent study in the 'Arts' field or appropriate experience in the carving industry.
- Applicants for whom English is a second language must meet IELTS (or equivalent) Level 5.5 or above.
Special Entry may be granted where evidence exists that the applicant can successfully complete the programme.
Advice to applications:
- Candidates must possess the physical capacity to engage in the practical carving components of the programme.
- Diagnostic literacy testing may be conducted to identify applicants requiring support. Students identified as requiring support /assistance in coping with tertiary level study will be supported by the polytechnic Student Support Services.
- School leavers wanting to study on the NZ Certificate in Arts and Design (Level 4) programme would be best to have studied Visual Arts and/or Graphics and Design, as well as English and Maths unit standards at secondary school.