*This programme is under development and is subject to change in 2021
Learn on the farm with Tai Poutini Polytechnic’s hands-on agriculture training programmes. Agriculture is one of New Zealand’s biggest-earning industries and there are plenty of opportunities for securing jobs and getting ahead right here on the West Coast. TPP’s agriculture programmes cover all the skills you need to get started as a farm assistant and work your way up.
The livestock husbandry programme teaches you about farming sustainability while carrying out everyday tasks on the farm. Your study will focus on animal husbandry and cover: dairy farm training, cattle farming, soil and plant nutrition, livestock biology, livestock handling, livestock health and welfare, sustainable farming systems and technologies and safe work practices.
The bulk of TPP’s agricultural education training takes place on the 70-hectare TPP farm in Reefton, giving students a real sense of what life is like on the farm.
TPP’s farming and agriculture programmes aim to get students ready for work. Graduates can start as a farm assistant then work their way up through the industry.
- Credit Value:70
- Awards:NZ Certificate in Agriculture (Livestock Husbandry) (Level 3)
- Method of Study:Full time
- Holiday Duration:2 weeks
- Teaching Duration:20 weeks
- Total Duration:22 weeks
- Start Date:31 May 2021
- End Date:29 October 2021
This programme cost is covered by the TTAF fund. For more information visit www.tpp.ac.nz/TTAF
- Domestic Breakdown
- NZQA Fee:$112
The core elements are covered in the following categories:
- Assist with mating and parturition
- Assist with prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of livestock health problems
- Assist with the rearing of young livestock
Programme Structure and Workload
The programme has a mixture of classroom theory and on farm practical work experience as well as work experience placement where appropriate.
Further Study Paths
Level 4 or higher studying within the Primary I.T.O Agriculture Livestock Husbandry.
- Employment in Dairy Farming
- Employment in Beef and Sheep Farming
- Agriculture contracting
- A.I technician
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must be over 16 years of age.
- Minimum of three years’ secondary school or completion of NCEA level 1 or equivalent.
- Applicants for whom English is a second language must meet IELTS (or equivalent) Level 5 or above.
Applications will be accepted from young people who meet Youth Guarantee eligibility criteria.
- Special Entry may be granted where evidence exists that the applicant can successfully complete the programme.