Research Databases and E-books
Accessing electronic resources (e-Resources)
TPP subscribes to the EPIC collection of digital databases, which provide access to full-text journal and newspaper articles, e-book and other e-resources. These resources can be searched through the TPP library catalogue: https://tpp.on.worldcat.org/discovery. The catalogue and the digital resources can be accessed by TPP staff and students from any computer or other device, whether you are on campus or not. You will simply need to identify yourself, using your student ID number, preceded by a small “s” (eg s2018012345) or your staff ID number (eg joeb), then your network password.
Electronic resources can be identified easily as they have a ‘View eBook’ or ‘View full text’ button which you can press to open these items. When using e-Resources, always click the ‘Full Text filter’.
To open a journal article
- Click on View full text
- If the article won’t open, return to your list and select another article
- Click on PDF Full Text (left side of the screen)
- When the article appears, use the icons along the right-hand side of the screen to print, save, email, or share the article according to your needs.
To open an eBook
- Click on View eBook
- You have two options. You can open various sections of the book online or you can “borrow” the book for a maximum of 7 days to read offline.
- To read sections online, click on PDF Full Text to download the whole book, or click on the Table of Contents to open specific chapters of the book. As with the articles, you can then save, print, share etc. the relevant pages of the book.
- To borrow the book, click on Download This eBook (Offline)
- The first time you do this, you must create an EBSCOhost account for yourself. Afterwards you’ll get the prompt “Please sign in to your My EBSCOhost account to check availability and download”. Sign in using the username and password you created in EBSCOhost.
- You get a screen where you can click on “Checkout and download” for a max of seven days.
- Look at the viewing requirements on that screen. You must ensure that you have downloaded the software to enable you to read the book, so click on the Adobe Digital Editions to download it, or one of the others listed there - you can even download the book to be readable on a Kindle. You only have to download this software once.
- You get a screen saying the eBook was checked out successfully and use the URL Link to download the book, or “View your checkouts folder now”. This will also give you all the eBooks you have checked out, even those that have expired. You could save the URL Link to your desktop and open the eBook this way.
EBSCO eBook Collection
Search and view the full text of eBooks
EBSCO eBook Academic Collection
This growing subscription package contains a large selection of multidisciplinary eBook titles representing a broad range of academic subject matter, and is a strong complement for any academic collection. The breadth of information available through this package ensures that users will have access to information relevant to their research needs.
Search across EBSCO databases - Australia New Zealand Reference Centre & MasterFile Premier
Australia New Zealand Reference Centre
Newspaper and magazine articles with an emphasis on New Zealand and Australian titles. Includes most major New Zealand daily newspapers.
Full text access to articles from over 2000 major international publications such as Time, Newsweek, & New Scientist. Covers virtually every subject area.
Encyclopaedia Britannica Online Academic Edition
Search the online version of Encyclopaedia Britannica
Academic OneFile is a sophisticated, current and easy-to-use resource for extensive research. With millions of articles available in both PDF and HTML full text, researchers are able to find accurate information quickly.
Biography In Context
An extensive range of contemporary and historical biographies of notable people. It is searchable by name, nationality, and occupation.
Books & Authors
Search or browse for books by genre, author, age group, period or theme – or find award winners.
Business Reference Suite
Search across three related business databases: Business and Industry; Business and Management Practices; and TableBase.
Contemporary Women's Issues
Articles & reports on women's issues from professional & popular journals, & newspapers.
Research a very wide range of topics in the many millions of articles from news media and magazines.
Global Issues In Context
International viewpoints on a broad spectrum of global issues, topics, and current events.
Health & Wellness Resource Center
Authoritative answers to health and medical questions from a huge range of health/medical resources.
Literature Resource Center
Critical essays, book reviews, biographies and author interviews from a range of periods and genres.
Opposing Viewpoints In Context
Mulitple perspectives on major contentious social, political and technological issues. Includes topical overviews and point of view articles.
Science In Context
Information on hundreds of today's most significant science topics.
Virtual Reference Library
Selected reference books containing biography, literature, social sciences information.
World History In Context
Covers events and people that have shaped the world from ancient to modern times.
Oxford Art Online
Reference articles on all forms of fine arts and artists including architecture, design and traditional crafts. Included in Oxford Art Online is Grove Art, The Oxford Companion to Western Art, Encyclopedia of Aesthetics and The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Art Terms.
Oxford English Dictionary Online
A searchable online version of the Oxford English Dictionary
Oxford Music Online
Reference articles on musicians, composers, instruments, and periods. Included in Oxford Music Online is Grove Music, The Oxford Dictionary of Music and The Oxford