Tai Poutini Polytechnic (TPP) has accommodation available for students studying at our Greymouth Campus. Accommodation options for students studying in other regions are listed at the bottom of this page.
TPP has a duty of pastoral care to all of our students, and specific requirements for residents of our accommodation under the Education (Pastoral Care of Domestic Tertiary Students) Interim Code of Practice 2019 to ensure that our students live in a safe environment and have a positive experience that supports their educational achievement and personal development.
Tai Poutini Village units are all in close proximity (200 metres) of the TPP Greymouth Campus, as well as the Greymouth central business district.
Weekly rental is between $145.00 - $150.00 per room (inclusive of electricity) for 2021. An initial payment in advance of between $740.00 - $750.00 is required, this is made up of:
- $100.00 Admin Fee - non refundable
- $350.00 Bond - refundable on satisfactory exit inspection
- Between $290.00 - $300.00 two weeks rent in advance
Fifty-eight rooms are available, consisting of shared housing and single units.
What is supplied?
- Beds - king singles
- Washing machines and dryers (require $2 to operate)
- Communal drying room
- TVs (common areas only)
- All units have a landline for local calls only
- All units are supplied with fridge/freezer, furnishings, microwave, jugs, toaster and basic cooking equipment
What do I have to supply?
- All bedding (duvet, blankets, sheets, pillows, pillowcases), towels, flannels and tea towels
- Insurance to cover personal belongings
- As the accommodation is self-catering, meals are residents’ responsibility
- There is zero tolerance to illegal drugs, alcohol, cigarettes or vaping.
- All residents must be at least 18 years of age.
- Accommodation is self-catering.
- Cleaning equipment is supplied, but residents are required to supply their own cleaning products.
- Residents are expected to respect the House Rules that are published in each house/unit.
- There is limited off-street parking.
- Pets are not permitted.
- All rooms are subject to periodic inspection.
Method of Application
Applicants for student accommodation are required to complete the application form which can be found here.
As there is limited accommodation available, we encourage you to apply as early as possible.
Applicants should fill in their name and school (if appropriate) on the confidential report form which can be found here.
and pass it on to the principal of the school they presently attend or most recently attended. The principal (or his or her nominee) will complete the form and forward it TPP separately.
For applicants who have left school, including mature students, a personal reference from a Justice of the Peace, minister of religion, work colleague or other community figure is required.
Please note that we cannot confirm your place in accommodation until you have been accepted onto a programme at TPP.
Applications will be reviewed by the Student Accommodation Committee, commencing in September prior to your year of study. You will be notified of the results of your application as soon as possible.
- Room allocation will be determined by TPP. Where possible, we house students from the same programme together. If you have a special request, please note this on your application form for consideration.
- The Residency Agreement must be signed to secure a room or be placed on the waiting list.
- Initial payment, as described in the “Costs’ section above, is required to secure a room.
- Residents are required to supply the name and contact details of a nominated person should their wellbeing or behaviour cause concern.
Please send your application and supporting documentation to:
or post to:
Tai Poutini Polytechnic
Private Bag 607
Accommodation in other areas
Seal Colony Top 10 Holiday Park | 03-789 8002
Westport Holiday Park | 03-789 7043
Bazils Hostel Ltd | 03-789 6410
Pakington House for Accommodation | 03-789 5657
Foc'sle Hostel | 03-789 6226
TripInn Hostel | 0800737773 or 03-789 7367
A range of accommodation is available in Wanaka including rental housing, private board, hostel/backpacker and five camping grounds. Rental housing ranges in price from approximately $90–$160 per room per week. Students often share rental accommodation.
Some students arrange accommodation as early as possible in order to secure a place. Students who don’t secure their accommodation before arriving in Wanaka typically spend a week in a motor camp before they get sorted. Please complete the “Sharing of Contact Information” section of the ski patrol questionnaire and return if you are interested in sharing accommodation with other Ski Patrol students.
Rental housing ranges in price from about $250–$450 per week, depending on the number of bedrooms. This equates to $90–$160 per person. The houses can be 2–4 bedrooms, furnished or unfurnished.
Private board often includes meals, power and phone. Prices vary and are usually advertised in “The Messenger”.
There are several camping grounds in the Wanaka area with a range of cabins, tents and caravan sites.
Typically facilities include single or twin share rooms, kitchen and common room. The average rate is $25.00 per night. Cheaper rates are negotiable for long term stayers.
Wanaka Accommodation Contact details
Wanaka Top 10 Holiday Park | 03-443 7360
Lake Outlet Holiday Park | 03-443 7478
Wanaka Lakeview Holiday Park | 03-443 7883
Bullock Creek Lodge | 03-443 1265
Mountain View Backpackers | 03-443 9010
Wanaka YHA | 03-443 1880
Lake Hawea Holiday Park | 03-443 1767
Matterhorn South Lodge and Backpackers | 03-443 1119
Pleasant Lodge Holiday Park | 03-443 7360
Real Estate Agents that may also be able to help you find accommodation
Harcourts Real Estate | 03-443 7829
Locations | 03-443 0150
LJ Hooker | 03-443 7120
Kindleys Real Estate | 03-443 7121
The list above is not exhaustive.
Advertisements can also be placed in Wanaka’s local newsletter ‘The Messenger’.
Contact: Philippa on 03 769 7925, this can also be read online here.
Satellite towns of Hawea, Albertown and Luggate also offer potential rental properties within 10 minutes driving time of Wanaka.