This programme will give you the skills and knowledge to effectively manage teams to achieve organisational objectives in a bi- and multi-cultural environment. You’ll study internal and external environments, leadership styles, how communication assists in developing relationships, management and performance of a team as well as contributing to the achievement of organisational goals.
Tai Poutini Polytechnic (TPP) is working with the Open Polytechnic of New Zealand Ltd (OPNZ) to offer new training programmes to West Coast students. TPP can now help you enrol for online learning through OPNZ. As well as the fantastic support you’ll receive from OPNZ, you’ll also have access to face-to-face student support at TPP and all West Coast campus facilities. Partnerships like this are making it easier for West Coasters to access great tertiary training options right here at home.
- Credit Value:60
- Awards:New Zealand Certificate in Business (First Line Management) (Level 4)
- Location:Delivered online with local support
- Method of Study:Delivered online with local support
- Total Duration:20 weeks
When you achieve this qualification, you will be able to:
- manage work flows in an operational context to achieve team objectives
- assess against agreed criteria, and respond appropriately to achieve operational objectives
- motivate your team to achieve the team objectives, and contribute to the organisation's objectives
- develop and manage relationships with team members and stakeholders
- promote an inclusive environment to value diversity for positive performance
- show professional and ethical behaviour, in a socially and culturally appropriate manner in leading a team
- adapt your leadership style to be effective in different environments
- follow internal policies, legislation and external requirements for the organisation.
Programme Structure and Workload
This programme comprises 3 compulsory courses;
- FLM401 The Business Environment
- FLM402 Motivating and Managing People
- FLM403 Setting and Meeting Objectives
Allow 10 hours of study per credit. Your workload may be higher around assessment due dates
All courses are delivered online, so you will need to have regular access to a computer or device, a reliable broadband internet connection, and a data plan to be able to support your online learning. You will need to stream videos, download content and submit assessments online.
This qualification will give you the skills needed to work as a first line manager. You will be able to be responsible for the performance of others working in the business.
- To enrol in this programme you need to have NCEA Level 2, or equivalent.
- If you are 20 years of age or over and do not hold the minimum entry requirements you will be eligible to be enrolled where your previous educational, work or life experience indicates you have a reasonable likelihood of success.
- International students must also have an IELTS (Academic or General) score of 5.5 with no band score lower than 5.0, or equivalent.
- Domestic students for whom English or Māori is not their first language must also have an IELTS (Academic or General) score of 5.5 with no band score lower than 5.0, or equivalent.
Sharing of student information
TPP is working with the OPNZ to deliver more training options to people on the West Coast. The partnership involves OPNZ delivering programmes online, with students also having access to face-to-face support services and facilities at TPP’s West Coast campuses. As part of the partnership arrangement, OPNZ need to share student information and details with TPP to assist with providing students local support. This will include personal information provided at the time of enrolment and any ongoing or updated information.
The New Zealand Certificate in Business (First Line Management) (Level 4) is delivered by OPNZ. Students will enrol with the Open Polytechnic and the programme is delivered through online learning. To enrol in the New Zealand Certificate in Business (First Line Management) (Level 4) click here.