Loans & Allowances


Studylink Provider StaticDigitalBanners 730x300

Apply before 16 December - you can't miss it

If you're studying in 2021, 16 December is a very important date. It's one you just can't miss.

Around 150,000 students will need to get organised for study in 2021. Apply for your student allowance or loan before 16 December to give yourself the best chance of having everything sorted and ready for the start of your study.

If you’ve had a student allowance or loan in the last 12 months, login to MyStudyLink and use the Returning Application to apply. It'll take less than five minutes.

If you would like advice or support around the application process you can contact TPP Student Support Services on 0800 TPP SUPPORT or email

Government Assistance

The Government provides the following forms of assistance:

  • Student loans
  • Student allowances
  • Training incentive allowance

Student Loans

Student loans are a Government loan for New Zealand students that you repay through the Department of Inland Revenue when you start working. To qualify for a student loan you must be a New Zealand citizen, an Australian citizen or permanent New Zealand resident who has lived in New Zealand for at least three years, enrolled in a Ministry of Education approved full time or part-time programme (the equivalent of at least 12 weeks full time).

The amount you can borrow includes:

  • Fees
  • Course-related costs (up to $1,000)
  • Living costs

Student Allowances

New Zealand students attending a full-time programme of 12 weeks or longer and who are 18 years or over may be eligible for a student allowance. Students who are 16 and 17 years of age may also be eligible. Allowance rates may be affected by a student’s parent’s income and can be topped up via a student loan in some situations. You can apply online to see if you are eligible.

For more information and to apply, go to

Phone: 0800 88 99 00
Apply early! It can take at least three weeks to process your application

Education and Employment Related Training

Assistance may be available to you through Work and Income if you’re planning to do a work-related course and you get one of the following benefits:

  • Sole Parent Support
  • Supported Living Payment
  • Young Parent Payment
  • Youth Payment

Contact Work and Income for further information

Phone: 0800 559 009