New Zealand Certificate in Foundation Skills (Level 2)
Tai Poutini Polytechnic can help you reach your career goals by getting you ready for study and higher training.
July 2023 - Greymouth
About the programme
- Development of reading and writing skills, particularly related to practical purpose and how to overcome potential barriers to your success.
- Creating your own healthy environment to support you and get you ready study.
- How to take part in different workplaces and situations that get you ready for work and developing skills that allow you to contribute to the workplace and understand the diversity others bring.
- Searching and communicating about your area of interest, including getting your CV ready and helping you consider the next steps on your learning journey.
What You Study
- Develop strategies to support and enhance own learning
- Describe strategies for managing stress
- Identify support services and resources in the community that may assist with overcoming barriers
- Investigate career options based on personal interests and attributes and identify the implications for the future
- Select texts and assess their suitability for identifying strategies to manage stress and enhance learning
- Analyse the effect of significant life events on personal financial income and financial literacy strategies to manage these events
- Describe strategies to contribute to household conservation strategies for saving and sustainability
- Describe legal implications of living in rented accommodation and ways to prevent or solve problems
- Recognise differing points of view on and discuss strategies for wellbeing
- Describe diversity in Aotearoa and its implications and benefits in the community and workplace
- Identify discrimination and describe its consequences and ways of responding
- Recognise ways of becoming involved in recreation in the local community and describe the benefits of involvement
- Describe aspects of lineage/whakapapa, heritage, and cultural identity
- Select and read a variety of texts from different sources that
- relate to a selected topic of research
- Search, comprehend, use and communicate information on a
- selected topic and write a short report to inform an audience
- Conduct a job search, describe steps in applying for a job and
- create a targeted CV
- Describe employment agreements and their minimum statutory provisions
Further study options
The programme will run over 4 days on campus days and times to be decided. Delivery of the New Zealand Certificate in Foundation Skills (Level 2) is carried out in a full time, face to face, format over 20 weeks with delivery consisting of four, 15 credit courses with embedded unit standards.
- Applicants for whom English is a second language must meet IELTS (or equivalent) Level 5 with no band lower than 5.
- A minimum of 10 credits in literacy and numeracy at NCEA Level 1, or equivalent.
- Be 16 years of age or older
- Have their application reviewed by Tai Poutini staff to ensure the programme is suitable for the leaner and that they have a reasonable chance of success.
When you apply to study with Tai Poutini Polytechnic in 2024, you will be enrolled with Te Pūkenga, the new national network of vocational and applied education in Aotearoa New Zealand. You will learn in the same way, in the same place, and with the same people. The great news is that this enables us to share skills and knowledge across a network of passionate education providers, to better help you succeed. Enrolling in programmes that start from 2023, means that you will graduate with a Te Pūkenga qualification.
You will be offered a place subject to meeting the entry and selection requirements and the availability of places on the programme. The Polytechnic reserves the right to not accept late applications, i.e., after the programme has started. The Polytechnic reserves the right to cancel, prior to commencement, any programme which does not attract a minimum number of students. The fees shown are indicative only. Both domestic and international fees are subject to change. For further information visit here.