New Zealand Certificate in Construction Trade Skills, Carpentry
This programme is designed to prepare you for an apprenticeship in the construction industry.
The programme fulfils the requirements of the Building and Construction Industry Training Organisation (BCITO) and is approved by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority. It is also recognised by the New Zealand Master Builders’ Association.
Upon successful completion of the programme, you will gain the Certificate in Carpentry (Residential and Commercial), a number of unit standards towards a National Certificate in Carpentry (Level 4) and a First Aid Certificate.
- Credit Value:120
- Awards:Certificate in Construction Trade Skills, Carpentry
- Method of Study:Full time
- Holiday Duration:6 weeks
- Teaching Duration:36 weeks
- Total Duration:42 weeks
- Start Date:February 2018
- End Date:November 2018
- Domestic Breakdown
- Tuition Fee:$6,053
- Student Service Fee:$100
Topics are based on unit standards for ease of study.
Practical work includes:
- carpentry tools and machinery
- preliminary work
- form work
- reinforcing and concrete
- timber framing
- full-sized construction projects
Theory study includes:
- construction theory
- trade drawing
- plan reading
- trade calculations
- building-site administration and planning
- a modern, well equipped workshop which is used for skill development and practical assessment;
- a large building barn in which, as part of the programme, students construct a building.
As part of your programme, you will be expected to spend time on building sites working with experienced carpenters.
These blocks of work experience will begin after your first twelve weeks. There are seven of these blocks spaced evenly throughout terms two, three and four. This will be your chance to prove your worth to the industry.
Note: You may be required to complete drug testing, prior to work experience.
There is an old saying “do it once, do it right”. We believe that this saying applies to pre-apprenticeship training. This programme is about students building a solid foundation upon which they will be able to develop successful careers in the building and construction industries.
With this as their focus, we are confident that graduates of our programme will have the skills to pursue an apprenticeship in the construction industry.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be 16 years of age or over.
- Special entry may be granted where evidence exists that the applicant can successfully complete the programme. Please contact the Polytechnic for details.
- Applicants may be required to attend an interview.
- Some courses within this programme require specific levels of physical ability.
This is a Safety Sensitive Programme